Sunday, December 6, 2009

GFCF Crepes

We love making crepes for breakfast. Crepes have wheat and milk. The Kids(tm) can't have wheat or milk. So, I had to make tweaks to our crepe recipe, using a few other GFCF crepe recipes for inspiration. Here's what we made this morning:

Mix together:
1 cup of rice flour (half brown, half white, but the exact mix probably doesn't matter much)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch of salt

Separately, mix together:
1 cup rice milk
2 beaten eggs
2 tbsp melted and somewhat cooled clarified butter

Add the wet to the dry, whisk together, and let the batter stand while the pan heats up. I do not use a crepe pan - all I have ever used is my Calphalon stainless steel 6" omelet pan that we picked up for a song in a store sample. Heat the pan to medium low and melt just a tad of clarified butter in it, then spread it around with a brush or paper towel and the crepes won't stick, plus you won't have to worry about killing birds with the fumes from the nonstick. I do keep a flexible spatula on hand just in case. The pan is the correct temperature if there's just a tad of sizzle when you pour and swirl the batter.

Kids loved this recipe and kept demanding more. The batter was somewhat thicker than I'm used to with regular crepes so I'll probably try a bit more rice milk next time.

No comments: